The Midnight
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Welcome to the aether...

HomeLatest imagesSearchRegisterLog in

Share | 

Born Christians? Ever thought otherwise?

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
The Host
Host of the Order of Midnight
The Host

Born Christians? Ever thought otherwise? Vide
PostSubject: Born Christians? Ever thought otherwise?   Born Christians? Ever thought otherwise? EmptyWed Jan 13, 2010 8:47 pm

Hey there members, I was just wondering if those of you who were born Christian, and still are, have ever wondered if that is the ONLY reason you are Christian, because of your upbringing.
Back to top Go down
https://themidnight.forumotion.com
TVent
Peon
TVent

PostSubject: Re: Born Christians? Ever thought otherwise?   Born Christians? Ever thought otherwise? EmptyWed Jan 13, 2010 8:50 pm

Because I can.
Back to top Go down
https://www.facebook.com/MistahV
The Host
The Host

PostSubject: Re: Born Christians? Ever thought otherwise?   Born Christians? Ever thought otherwise? EmptyWed Jan 13, 2010 8:53 pm

Well, you understand what I mean. Raised from birth to be Christian, as most people here in the states I imagine.
Back to top Go down
The Odd
Peon
The Odd

PostSubject: Re: Born Christians? Ever thought otherwise?   Born Christians? Ever thought otherwise? EmptyWed Jan 13, 2010 9:52 pm

I was born a christian, at the age of 3 i learned i could say no to going to church.
Back to top Go down
Kaos
Peon
Kaos

PostSubject: Re: Born Christians? Ever thought otherwise?   Born Christians? Ever thought otherwise? EmptyThu Jan 14, 2010 2:57 pm

Ok... here comes a bit of a rant, but this matter has had an effect on me, so whatever.
I hate when kids are raised strictly as Christians. Especially very conservative Christians. I don't mind church-goers. I don't even mind if you spend a majority of your time at church. My best friend is really into his church. What I can't stand is parents that are interfering with their kids' interactions with the world. You know the kind? Those that will shelter their sons or daughters nearly to the point of being a metaphorical bubble-child.
A friend of mine cannot date until she is ready to be married.
WHAT?
Interpretation. The first boy you go to the movies with, kiss, experience any form of passion with, you have to marry.
Does this strike anyone else as stupid?
She's also not allowed to watch R-rated movies, listen to songs that cuss... SHE'S 18.
We went to see Sherlock Holmes, and she had never heard of the character before.
I can understand wanting to keep the innocence and the purity in your child, but the world is going to be a scary place for someone that has never experienced anything less-than-acceptable in their life.
Back to top Go down
Kaos
Peon
Kaos

PostSubject: Re: Born Christians? Ever thought otherwise?   Born Christians? Ever thought otherwise? EmptyThu Jan 14, 2010 6:21 pm

I'm not saying I (or others) go out and look for dates they don't want to marry, but through my observations of the world, I've become some mix of a cynic and a realist. I, too have never entered a relationship with the intentions of it being short-term, but what happens, happens, right? I thought the first girl I went out with the only one for me, but she ended up being an entirely different person than the one I knew. If my parents would've shunned me for not staying with someone I wasn't happy with... is that right?

Yes, those parents are certainly well-meaning. I'm not encouraging parents out there to let their sons and daughters be loose or hell-raisers or anything like that, but let them live. I like to think I'm a good person, and a great deal of that is thanks to my upbringing. I didn't spend my childhood fearing in God, but I definitely know right from wrong, and I can assure you that I have more than decent morals. My upbringing alone didn't make me who I am, though. I've been out in the world, tried things, been with people, etc., but a combination of my upbringing and experience have governed me through situations and made me who I am. I make/have made good choices. I suppose everyone is different, but I don't believe children need to be so so sheltered from the world that they don't get to experience any of it until they leave home and are alone in it.

As for my beliefs, I've found a gentle resting place between Christianity and Deism.
I believe in God, but I find the Bible and organized religions to merely be works of man. I don't let the little details bother me, and I don't think they bother God, either. Again, I'm not taking it to an extreme.I'm not loose. Actually, I admit to being a virgin at 19, by choice, mind you, not because I'm waiting for marriage, but just for the right person. I would more than likely intend to marry that person, but nothing is guaranteed in life.

EDIT: Did I mention that girl I talked about was also home-schooled?
Back to top Go down
Kaos
Peon
Kaos

PostSubject: Re: Born Christians? Ever thought otherwise?   Born Christians? Ever thought otherwise? EmptyFri Jan 15, 2010 12:33 am

I don't see the world as a completely terrible place, but if you have little to no experience going into it, many things are going to come across as shocking, as there are many malicious parties out there.

As for the Deism... to be quite honest, I didn't read too much into it. I read the general basis and whatnot, and it seemed to suit my basic ideas. It's just an attempt to place a name on my beliefs.

Here the first couple paragraphs from Deism's wiki page:
"Deism is a religious and philosophical belief that a supreme being created the universe, and that this (and religious truth in general) can be determined using reason and observation of the natural world alone, without a need for either faith or organized religion. Deists tend to, but do not necessarily, reject the notion of divine interventions in human affairs, such as by miracles and revelations. These views contrast with a dependence on revelations, miracles, and faith found in many Jewish, Christian, Islamic and other theistic teachings.
Deists typically reject most supernatural events (prophecy, miracles) and tend to assert that God (or "the Deus," or "The Supreme Architect") has a plan for the universe that is not altered either by God intervening in the affairs of human life or by suspending the natural laws of the universe. What organized religions see as divine revelation and holy books, most deists see as interpretations made by other humans, rather than as authoritative sources."

Here are my particular points of interest:
• "Using reason and observation of the natural world alone, without a need for either faith or organized religion."
• "Reject the notion of divine interventions in human affairs, such as by miracles and revelations." - I'm not a firm believer in miracles. There are wonderful coincidences out there, but I find no evidence that God directly causes some phenomena.
• "What organized religions see as divine revelation and holy books, most deists see as interpretations made by other humans, rather than as authoritative sources." - God didn't write the Bible. Man did. Man that claims to have spoken to God. I might be more inclined to believe this if those that claim to speak to God in modern times weren't also inclined to sleep with young boys. I'm not necessarily calling them liars, as they may interpret the thoughts in their head as Divine Will and/or communication, but in that sense, what makes them special or gives them any authority more than anyone else in the first place?
Back to top Go down
The Host
The Host

PostSubject: Re: Born Christians? Ever thought otherwise?   Born Christians? Ever thought otherwise? EmptyFri Jan 15, 2010 10:16 am

The Infamy wrote:
Doesn't sound so much different from atheism to me.

I suppose i have lofty ideas about the cosmos which could be labeled as 'God', but the mere act of labeling it profanes it. Saying that there is a Creator unfathomable and indifferent to us is basically on the same plane as saying there is no Creator.

How does that sound like atheism? And how are those two things alike, the just seems so contradictory to me..

@Kaos: I Looked into deism, but I was always (at least somewhat) a believer in revelation. I am a Muslim, and therefore don't believe the Bible is the word of God either, but that perhaps at one point the teachings in it had been revelation, but had been changed and altered by man. I believe you can find proof of a "The Deus" all around us, In nature, also.
Back to top Go down
Kaos
Peon
Kaos

PostSubject: Re: Born Christians? Ever thought otherwise?   Born Christians? Ever thought otherwise? EmptyFri Jan 15, 2010 11:32 am

The Infamy wrote:
Doesn't sound so much different from atheism to me.

Atheists reject the belief in a Creator and afterlife altogether. I believe in some version of a Heaven/Hell system, and I definitely believe in God. I don't think Him unfathomable or anything like that, merely that He doesn't play a big role in an many things as people give Him credit, and I don't interpret the Bible as His direct will.

I think what really bothers me is the little differences in religions that cause bitterness between their groups. In my view, it's all the same God. Christian God, Catholic God, Judaism God, whatever. Why can't we all... get along? Razz
-starts humming "Under Pressure"-
Back to top Go down
The Host
The Host

PostSubject: Re: Born Christians? Ever thought otherwise?   Born Christians? Ever thought otherwise? EmptyFri Jan 15, 2010 2:55 pm

I would call that agnosticism, because you still believe there could be that "God" out there, but that it is too unfathomable, whereas in Atheism, there is no doubt or entertaining ideas of any kind of deity.
Back to top Go down
The Host
The Host

PostSubject: Re: Born Christians? Ever thought otherwise?   Born Christians? Ever thought otherwise? EmptyThu Sep 23, 2010 8:05 am

Would you say that you are one of these "deists"? Or more true-to-yourself, atheist?
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Born Christians? Ever thought otherwise?   Born Christians? Ever thought otherwise? Empty

Back to top Go down

Born Christians? Ever thought otherwise?

View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
The Midnight :: Religion :: Christianity-